We are excited to continue our "10 Desserts of Valentine's Day," and hopefully inspire some delicious cooking, baking, and eating with the ones you love! This time we decided to share a breakfast treat, and these are by far our best pancakes yet! You'll just have to try them - maybe breakfast in bed for your honey on Valentine's Day?? Just an idea ;)
- 1 and 1/4 cup of our Gluten-Free Flour mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons almond or coconut milk (soy milk can be used as well)
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar (apple cider or white)
- 3 Tablespoon Honey
- 2 Tablespoon melted coconut oil (canola or vegetable oil can be substituted)
- 1 egg or *Ener-G Egg Replacer if your prefer to not include eggs
For Apple Mixture:
- 4 to 5 apples, diced
- 1 Tablespoon coconut or preferred oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
(Makes 8-9 medium pancakes)
- Combine gluten-free flour, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon in a large bowl.
- After mixing the dry ingredients, add the almond milk (or your preferred choice of milk), vinegar, honey, oil, egg (*or replacement), and whisk until batter is smooth. Pop the batter in the fridge to "set" for 10 minutes - this helps with the "fluffiness" factor ;)
- While the batter is in the fridge, cut the apples into small cubes (you can leave or remove the apple skin, up to you!) Transfer the diced apples into a sauce pan and drizzle with a Tablespoon of oil. Stir the diced apples and cook on medium heat until they become soft and translucent (5-10 minutes). Add the cinnamon to the apple mixture at the end of the cooking process. Set apple mixture aside until well cooled (I like to pop mine into the fridge to minimize wait time).
- Once apples have fully cooled, stir half the mixture into the pancake batter. Heat a griddle and cover the pan with non-stick cooking spray. Once hot (medium heat), pour the batter onto the griddle making 3-inch circles.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the tops of the pancakes begin to bubble. Flip the pancakes and cook for an addition minute. Continue this process until all of the batter is used. Make sure to re-spray the pan between pancakes.
- Once cooked, top your pancakes with the remaining apple mixture and maple syrup! Enjoy :)
*Note: If you prefer to make these pancakes without eggs, we suggest using Ener-G Egg Replacer... It works fabulously! Simply follow the directions on the back of the box for a "1-egg serving."