What to do with leftover cake and frosting? Make Truffles, of course!
#10 of our Ten Desserts of Valentine's Day
- Leftover Banana Cake (See our Banana-Peanut Butter Cupcake recipe for instructions)
- Leftover Peanut-Butter Frosting (See our Banana-Peanut Butter Cupcake recipe for instructions)
- 24 ounces of chocolate candy melts (See HERE for *dairy-free chocolate coating alternative)
- Optional: sprinkles or candy topping
- In a large bowl, crumble leftover banana cake and add a large spoonful of peanut butter frosting. Using your hands or a spatula, mash the two together until a "dough" forms - I like to compare the texture of the dough to that of play-doh ;) Add additional spoonfuls of peanut butter frosting until cake "dough" is pliable. Using a large spoon or cookie scoop, scoop out cake "dough" and roll into 1-inch cake balls. Place on prepared baking sheet and place in freezer for approx. 25 minutes.
- While waiting for the cake balls, melt chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave (we suggest melting chocolate in intervals of 45 seconds, stirring in-between). If preferred, you can melt chocolate in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Once cake balls have chilled, dip into melted chocolate using a toothpick or fork. Carefully tap off any excess chocolate and place on waxed paper to harden. Optional: Add favorite sprinkles or candy topping before chocolate completely hardens.