(Gluten-Free, *Vegan-Friendly, and Delicious!)
- 2 cups of our Gluten-Free Flour mix
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup currants (feel free to substitute raisins if you do not have currants)
- 5 TBSP very cold unsalted butter or non-dairy butter (*We use Earth Balance Vegan baking sticks!)
- 3/4 cup cold milk (dairy or non-dairy, *we used almond milk!)
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 TBSP melted butter or *non-dairy butter
- OPTIONAL: additional organic sugar for garnishing
(Makes 8 large scones)
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, combine our Gluten-Free Flour mix, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and currants until well mixed.
- Cut the very cold, diced butter or *Earth Balance sticks into diced pieces and add to the dry mixture. Using a fork or pastry cutter, "cut" the butter into flour until the mixture appears crumb-like (Take the time to ensure the mixture resembles course crumbs!)
- Add the Tablespoon of white vinegar to your cold dairy or *non-dairy milk. Let the milk mixture sit for 2 to 3 minutes and add to scone mixture. With a spatula or wooden spoon, stir ingredients until well incorporated (Make sure wet ingredients are fully absorbed).
- Once mixture is well incorporated and looks dough-like, set the bowl aside in the fridge for 5 minutes (DO NOT SKIP THIS PART!)
- After 5 minutes has passed, remove bowl from the fridge and use a large spoon to "drop" dough onto your prepared baking sheet (use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat to avoid sticking).
- Last, use a pastry brush to lightly coat the tops of your Irish Soda Bread Scones with the melted butter or melted *non-dairy butter.
- BAKE scones for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden. OPTIONAL: Immediately sprinkle the scones with sugar while still hot. Let the scones cool completely before serving.
SERVE WITH YOUR FAVORITE IRISH MEAL
AND MAY YOUR DAY BE FILLED WITH A LITTLE IRISH LUCK! :)